Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Farewell Toast to Red-Wine Teeth

AppId is over the quota AppId is over the quota

A couple days ago, I tried to think of a few things worse than being in a social setting, having a few glasses of wine, and ending up with wine-stained teeth. Let’s see, what did I come up with? Running face first into a bee hive, for one. Dashing out of a restaurant only to see your car being towed. Global warming? Ok, maybe not that bad.


It’s not merely the fact that your teeth have lost their pearly white hue that’s embarrassing. It’s more what having red-stained teeth symbolizes – that you get a little too excited by the thought of wine. So much so, that you’d rather be in a foreign country stomping up and down in a vat of grapes than where you are right now. Or that you’re just a lush.


Up until now, our only solutions were to either stop after one glass (let’s be serious, now) or jet off to the bathroom with toothbrush and toothpaste in hand for a quick touch up. Since both of those options aren’t always convenient, it’s a good thing I stumbled upon a product called “Wine Wipes,” from the makers Borracha LLC.


Wine Wipes uses a combination of salt, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, calcium, glycerine, and orange blossom to bleach the teeth, neutralize acids, and provide a coating to protect against future gulps. I was ready to test these babies out!


I pulled them out of my bag one night, thinking that these wipes would come in very handy on a date. Picture it: the conversation is going well – you both share a love of cats and long walks in the rain – and he just can’t wait to meet your parents. Then you smile sweetly and watch as his eyes move from your face to your red teeth. And then watch as his face contorts, like he just caught a whiff of something foul.


Thankfully, I wasn’t on a date. I was just at dinner with my friends (read: I don’t care what they think of me. They’re kind of obligated to like me at this point). We all had a couple of glasses of red wine and I pulled out a wipe – a small, circular, moist pad with one textured side for scrubbing, I assume. What immediately put me off was the taste – a combination of sour and salty. A friend had tried one as well and mentioned, ecstatically, that they tasted like boiled peanuts.


Strange taste aside, they did seem to clean my teeth. When I looked at the wipe after I had rubbed it over my teeth, it was noticeably redder. And my teeth did look brighter. The wipes also come in a small, discreet case – easy to take to the bathroom if you’re out in a public setting.


I’ll definitely be keeping Wine Wipes on hand for those occasions I find myself indulging in a few glasses of vino. That or just move to Europe and stomp grapes for a living.


Wine Wipes retail for $6.95 and can be purchased at stores nationwide and online.


Maya Kashyap, Everyday Health Production Editor


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Everyday Health Editors' Product Review Blog

Reuters: Business Travel

MedicineNet Nutrition, Food and Recipes General

Pages

MedicineNet Diet and Weight Management General

Frommer's Deals and News

Behind the Guides

Media Releases: News Desk

About.com Day Trading

Frommers.com Cruise Blog

Arthur Frommer Online

Dictionary.com Word of the Day

The Full Feed from HuffingtonPost.com