Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Hot and Cold Therapy With a Scented Twist

AppId is over the quota AppId is over the quota
It’s occurred to me that temperature control has a big impact on my comfort level. If you live in an area dominated by extreme temperatures (read: record-breaking heat wave summers in Manhattan), a cold shower or bubble bath at the end of a long day can be the difference between a breath of relief and a temper tantrum. So when I tried out Carex’s Bed Buddy Hot & Cold Pack, I was hopeful to add a new hot-cold quick fix into my options.


I tried out a Bed Buddy delightfully scented with “pink bliss,” an aromatherapy blend intended to be “uplifting and healing.” (It’s also available in green fresh – “purifying, invigorating” – and orange balance – “comforting, calming”). It’s bright pink, about a foot-and-some-change long, and filled with natural grain, herbs, and flowers. The pack is bookended with sturdy rope handles.


After checking the package instructions about 17 times to make sure I was reading it correctly, I cooked the Bed Buddy Easy-Mac-style in my microwave for a minute and 15 seconds. To my relief, it did not catch fire.


The reason we use heat for pain relief is because it’s soothing for the aching body. It relieves stiff, sore muscles while stimulating blood flow. I used mine on my shoulders and neck, which were sore from a yoga class the day before. The pack reaches the perfect level of warmth – never hot enough to be scalding but warm enough to earn a resounding “aahhhh.” And it lasts for a while – about an hour to be exact. Within 10 minutes I felt relief. The heated Bed Buddy is my post-workout buddy. I could also use it as a post-day-at-the-office buddy, where my neck is victim to 8 hours in front of a computer screen.


Cold therapy can reduce swelling when pain causes joint inflammation. And while I don’t have any swollen joints to tend to at the moment, I thought the cold pack would be nice for my non-air-conditioned apartment on a hot day. The pack should be stored overnight in the freezer for cold therapy use.


(Note: When the package instructs to place the Bed Buddy in a plastic bag before storing it in the freezer, it’s serious. Upon not being able to find a plastic bag, I left it in the freezer willy-nilly. My Bed Buddy now smells like frozen fish and leftover vodka from last Christmas. The herbs and seeds must absorb the smells around it.)


The cold-acting side of the pack is not a role it plays well. After a night in the freezer, the pack is slightly cool at best. So if you suffer from chronic muscle pain, arthritis, or all-around achiness, you’re better off using an ice pack or bag of frozen vegetables.


At only $12.99 and with plenty of reuse value, the Bed Buddy is worth a try. The comfort of the heated pack is so wonderful that I can forgive the shortcomings of the cold pack attempt.

Click Here!
And a heads up: If you purchase the “pink bliss” Bed Buddy, a portion of proceeds will support the fight against breast cancer.


Jennifer Paxton, editorial intern at Everyday Health

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Everyday Health Editors' Product Review Blog

Reuters: Business Travel

MedicineNet Nutrition, Food and Recipes General

Pages

MedicineNet Diet and Weight Management General

Frommer's Deals and News

Behind the Guides

Media Releases: News Desk

About.com Day Trading

Frommers.com Cruise Blog

Arthur Frommer Online

Dictionary.com Word of the Day

The Full Feed from HuffingtonPost.com